Doctor appointment
Evan saw his pediatrician this morning, for another checkup. He has gained a LOT of weight in the past two weeks; he is now 9 pounds, 1 ounce! (4.15 kilos) The other day he gained 3 ounces in 1 day! Usually he gains at least 1 ounce a day, sometimes 2, but 3!
I tried to explain to the doctor all of JR's and my concerns, referring to my notepad where I write everything (feedings, medication times, reflux times, etc). JR and I have been more nervous lately because he still has reflux and he got pale a couple times when he seemed to choke on spitup. The doctor said that we could do something absolutely forbidden nowadays, for fear of SIDS: put Evan to sleep on his stomach. Reflux is the one exception to the "back to sleep" rule. She kept talking about SIDS but said if we watched him at first we could try the stomach-sleeping position. I just thought about how 20-30 years ago, all parents put their kids to sleep on their stomachs... I asked about putting Evan on his side and the doctor said, "Oh, yeah, try that first." A good compromise.
I don't know why JR and I have been more nervous lately. Sometimes at night I worry and if Evan's squirming a lot, I pick him up and hold him in bed. Then he falls asleep and is calm. Lately, Evan wakes up around 6am every morning, spitting up. The reflux is just getting annoying, but maybe it seems to be bothering him less...
There are so many positive things to focus on, though. Like how Evan smiles more and more every day. How he is focusing more on faces and objects in front of him. And of course his weight gain. Even now as I type, he is in the baby carrier calmly sucking his pacifier... He is beautiful and perfect and seems so happy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home