3 Bibis

The new little "bibi" is here!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

10 to 14 days

The doctor told me this morning Evan will be going home in about 10 to 14 days! In one way, it seems like an eternity (the past 3 weeks have been the longest in my life). On the other hand, it will probably fly by and we'll have him home before we know it. I asked the nurse this morning about the monitors, how it will be to not have them at home...what if he has an "episode" when we're all asleep? AAARGH! She tried to reassure me. I guess NICU parents get dependent on the monitors, and on the nurses as well. We're used to having someone else take care of him. It will be a shock, I think, when we get him home and have to do everything for him. Not that I'm complaining! I just worry about everything...

The doctor also said Evan is going "above and beyond their expectations". I was so surprised! He also said he was very "smart", learning to eat so quickly. He also explained it will take time for his liver to "heal" and work properly. I guess that's how things go; with so many medications and things poked in his little body, it takes time to recover. But he's doing so well!

They increased his "nipple feeds" (bottle or breast) to 4 times a day instead of 3, as well as increasing the amount of milk by a little. Evan showed some protest with the first larger feeding. I was holding him "skin to skin" and he had a huge spitup (despite the fact I was holding him vertically). I felt so bad for the little guy. I also got my first lesson in spitup clothing management: bring an extra shirt and bra for me at all times!

So, overall he is doing great. The other day his cord stump fell off so he got his first bath (it was during the night so we missed it :( ). Then the next morning I came in and his soft fluffy hair was sticking straight up all over his head! It was hilarious--the cutest thing ever. I will have to get a photo of it next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home