Grown-ups say the darndest things....
Kids aren't the only ones to say funny, strange things...especially when it comes to talking to pregnant women. Below are quotes from people--most are friends, family, coworkers, and some are nearly strangers. They are all well-meaning adults, but as you will be able to see, things don't always come out quite right... Names are withheld to protect the innocent.
"Women look very beautiful when they are pregnant with a girl.... So you are having a boy. [long pause] Wait--did you look better or worse before you got pregnant?"
"Do not pet your cat because there are bugs in her fur that can go in your lungs and hurt the baby."
"I didn't recognize you from the back."
"Good luck on your delivery! I hope he pops right out!"
"How come your skin is so bad?"
"If you have heartburn that means the baby has a lot of hair."
[referring to my maternity outfit] "You really look the part."
"You said your stomach wasn't that big but it's HUGE!!!"
"They didn't wash the lettuce?!?! You better get tested for toxoplasmosis!"
"You can talk to me about pregnancy but when it gets to be really girly like all bloody and stuff I don't want to hear it!"
"I had a premonition that the baby will come August 20. Now maybe that doesn't mean anything but if I'm right, boy will I have fun saying 'I knew it!'"
"Childbirth is not always painful...For some women it's just like going to the bathroom."
More to come...

2 Comments:
The second to last one is my favorite!
It gets really bad when they ask you when you're having your baby -- six years after you've given birth. Ugh!
Post a Comment
<< Home