3 Bibis

The new little "bibi" is here!

Monday, January 22, 2007

Get rolling!

(finally the English version...)

Evan had an appointment with the doctor about a week ago for his 6 month checkup and vaccinations. At the appointment, the pediatrician asked me if Evan could roll over (to his back from his stomach). I said, "no, he hates being on his stomach, and even when I do put him like that, he just cries and doesn't move, he's a lazy butt!" (ok, maybe I didn't say lazy butt but close).

So the pediatrician then gave me a paper with a number--it was called "Early Start" and it's a place to bring Evan to see "experts" on baby development, to see what we can do with him. After all, he's 6 months old, he has to roll over, he's late! I looked at the doctor, speechless, a little overwhelmed by this news. A physical therapist for my baby?! What is this craziness? What are they going to do--force him to do pushups and lift weights? I looked down at his thin little arms and he smiled at me.

When I expained all this to Jean-Robert, he exploded. I was calm at the doctor's and kept my opinions for myself, but being at home, JR was free to let himself go... "That's idiotic! These American doctors are really dumb, they try to scare us, to scare all parents! I don't give a damn about this *&%# 'Early Start'!"

Hmmm...OK....I think JR doesn't like that idea. Actually neither do I. So we didn't call.

And Saturday morning, while I was working on the computer and Evan was on a mat on his stomach, I turned to look at him and he was on his side. "Keep going! C'mon! C'mon, my love, turn over! You're almost there!" I yelled.

And then--VOILA! He rolled over. I laughed, I screamed with joy. He looked at me as if I was totally crazy ("what's wrong with you, Mommy? it's nothing! I could've done it earlier but I just didn't want to...") I put him on his belly again and he rolled over 3 more times as if he was doing it all his life.

Evan will develop his own way, at his own speed. And that's perfect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home